In the torment of copyright infringement

Hi there. 

First post in English but I'll definitely going to translate this one.

Few days ago on instagram private messages someone told me that I didn't had the right to use the formula "Soul art" in my instagram name/presentation.

Bugger....I used everywhere because these words were inspired directly from the thread of my work over fifteen years now.

To be more precise they politley said that "Soul art" was actually a trademark in Usa, Canada and Europe and this prevented others people to use it  "without permission".

Please I had to remove these two words from my name and after a week without answer from me that would be a follow up.

Now......

On the spot my first epidermic reaction was to feel guilty as if on purpose I tried to stole something which of course never occurred to me.

Then very shortly after that there was anger. Thinking that they had no right to put on hold something that lots of artists in the world use simply because first inspiration for all art comes from the soul. 

Arts always come from it, then we can describe it in one way or another or build concepts on but the first cast comes actually from that vibe in our body that brings us to hold a brush or wherever. 

All the (legitimate) rest is building up.

So, I tried to understand what really did touch me, overcome emotions, beside all the reviewing work I had to do in my social networks and so on. And I made the necessary changes. 

I'm just using Gioia Albano Art everywhere (and of course still speaking about soul). 

In theory I should be ok....hopefully nobody with the same name then me has already put trademark on it.....

Now I want to share few considerations.

Why they had the need to "protect" something that don't need actually this protection?

The soul, our soul is above these trivial matters.

Were they protecting their business? Again they're absolutly right. But for me I still question the need to do so.

I'm quite sure that they would still have the success they have even without registering the trademark because this is where the soul speaks the truth.

The real shame for me is that some Office/Institution/Organisation at the time accepted to restrict the use of these two words, legitiming that someone own it. In which world ?!? That simply shouldn't happen. But I suppose it's the same for many discutable situations/laws we live everyday.

Let's hope that nothing like this happens to words such as "secret garden" or 'hot summer".

This is the last message I sent them as a close up.

Thank you for your answer. As I said before I think you protect a business you created and you have any right to do so. Still, the soul don't need trademark from my point of view, but business is on another plan and eventually you feel the need of protection. I'm still surprise though that an office/institution can led easily such a "right" on a generic name ....it's like I asked for a trademark on "secret garden" or "hot summer". I suppose it may cause some mess. Good luck to you too "

If you want comment about this I'll be happy to hear from you.

From my soul to yours that can listen
Gioia

Commentaires

Posts les plus consultés de ce blog

Nel tormentone della violazione del copyright

Cette été

Être artiste